top of page
Google Maps | London Road, Glasgow, UK
Govancroft Pottery won a Design Council Award
Govancroft was the last industrial pottery to be established in Glasgow in 1911 and the last to close its doors in 1981. Govancroft made functional stoneware vessels until 1946 apparently cornering the jam jar market in 1922. In the 1960’s the pottery began focusing on modern design employing Tarquin Cole, a contemporary of the famous potters, Hans Coper and Lucie Rae to produce a series of tableware. In 1966 Govancroft won a Design Council Award a selection of which is on display in the permanent Scottish Design collection at the V&A Dundee.
bottom of page